Wednesday

  

$125 [+shipping] : Oil on panel : 8 x 10 inches :


Im becoming more amazed with each painting at how much composition can rock your socks off.  I recently wrote about composition at my art essay blog Rag & Koan (The Subconscious Neglect of Composition) and I feel this painting is a good expression of what the essay is about.

When I chose to paint this scene I wasn't sure what drew me to it although I obviously liked the trees.  I scouted and sketched the area earlier in the week but when I came to paint it was the middle of the day and there was very flat light.  This means there was not a lot of pop to the values or color intensity.  The drawing and/or composition was going to have to carry the painting.  It is a very small panel so there is only so much drawing can do but as I worked I began to feel really strongly about the composition.

The painting has sat in my studio for a few weeks now and I have come back to it with fresh eyes and have been discovering fun little unplanned things like how the arches echo the twin trees.  In fact I wasn't sure how this painting stacked up to my other current works which are more colorful and contrasty but the flat color and narrow value scale really turned out to be an asset to this piece as the composition really shines in their absence.

Be well



............................................................................................................................................



Want to see more paintings plus free exclusive articles and updates?
Subscribe to my newsletter The Monthly ENSO, find out more here.


............................................................................................................................................

0 comments :

Post a Comment